For times immemorial, we have known the power of the scrub!
The exfoliator…the softner…the smooth operator!!
Whatever the skin type, a good scrub will always leave it clean, supple and fresh.
Lets explore today, the facial chapter of the story!
The shops are inundated with wonder products promising exceptional quality and loaded with all sorts of miracle formulae . Yes, they most definitely do what they say, but haven’t you ever been concerned about what exactly are they made of ? Except for all the enlightened chemical scientisty people out there, I think I can safely say that most of us cannot decipher the ingredients list stuck on the jar!
Right, so lets give that wallet a break and say hello to the three musketeers! or scrubeteers? no skineteers…or ..oh well…you get the idea!
I mean the kind that’s organic and raw. I use Raw health forest honey . Its naturally anti bacterial, its packed with antioxidants, its moisturising, its soothing and most of all, its always right here, in the kitchen.
Sugar of any type is an excellent exfoliant and also helps hydrate the skin. A smaller grain keeps it gentle . I mostly use unrefined golden caster sugar.
It cleans, it clears and is great for oily skin. It can however, leave your skin very sensitive to sunlight. Best would be to scrub before bed, and wake up to a soft silky face!
Here’s how I use it….
- Put a blob of honey on your palm.
- Top with about one fourth of a teaspoon of sugar.
- Squeeze a little lime juice on it.
- Now rub your palms together to mix it all up and scrub away.
- Gentle circular motions should do it.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Remember to tone and moisturise.
Here are other things you can throw in this mix…
- Bit of your favourite facial oil to intensify the moisture.
- Essential oils like tea tree or lavender to turn up the antibacterial benefits.
Also, a light handed quick scrub before makeup helps with a smooth finish.
So that’s that for the facial episode of my scrub tale.
Next installment….body scrub!